The holidays can be a stressful time. If your child is a picky eater, this can be a really stressful time. But remember…it doesn’t have to be! Holidays are also a great time to have fun! Baking is fun! Baking is a great time to expose children to new foods without the expectation of eating it! Use this time to show kids that food is fun and NOT stressful! Here are a few ideas:
1. Start a flour fight
2. Draw your name in sugar granules on the counter using fingers
3. Draw shapes in butter on the cookie sheet
4. Decorate cookies with icing and sprinkles…without a knife. Use your fingers to make it fun and encourage sensory play.
5. Serve food family style and have your child to make someone else’s plate. This encourages your picky eater to interact with food they wouldn’t normally interact with…but without the stress of eating it.
6. Have your child help you make the menu. While talking about the menu, name 3 things about each food. Just talking about non-preferred foods is exposure to them.
These are just a few ways to make the holidays work for you and your picky eater. Remember, food has to be fun…so what can you do to make it fun today?